My 1st screen cast: awk program from scratch
Two big announcements:
I wanted to make sure that external blogs linking to previous post links
wouldn’t break. So in order to do this, I had to edit all of my
previous blog posts and add a
Life is too short to be doing this manually so I whipped up an awk program to do it for me in about 20 minutes. It was so much fun building the program that I figured I should screen cast the process.
Recording the screen cast and exporting a decent version of it took a lot more than 20 minutes but I thoroughly enjoyed the process. You can watch the screen cast in its entirety on Youtube:
If you enjoyed it, please do let me know on twitter or in the comments over at YouTube.
Notes about the screen cast
- I use the GNU variant of awk (gawk)
- ripgrep is what I use to search
- My shell is fish
- Terminal theme is Dracula Pro
- The font I use of course is the venerable IBM Plex Mono
Meta notes on screen cast
- It took 5 takes to get the final one right
- I used an iPhone to record my keyboard & QuickTime Player to record the screen
- Adobe Premier Pro was my video editor of choice (I’m an Audition devotee)
- I don’t typically use an Apple keyboard 3 but my darn Kinesis wouldn’t fit comfortably in the iPhone screen (without propping the phone too high).
- I had both a mic and the iPhone on stands, both of which were obstructing my view to the keyboard. This would explain why I’m kind of sloppy at times with the keyboard navigation.
One of my goals for 2020 ↩︎
This might have messed with your RSS unread feed count. Sorry 😬 ↩︎
Kinesis Advantage Pro in case you were wondering ↩︎